Learn the Terms: An Overview of Common Printing Terms in Yuma, AZ

If you don’t have a lot of experience in the printing industry or haven’t placed many printing orders before, you might come across some terms that you’re unfamiliar with, or that seem a bit confusing. We understand that there’s quite a bit of jargon in the world of printing that isn’t exactly used every day by the average person, so we’ve selected a few of the most common terms you’re likely to encounter to define for you.

Here is an overview of some of those common printing terms in Yuma, AZ:

  • Creep: The term “creep” refers to a situation in which middle pages of a folded signature extend just a bit beyond the outside pages. Interchangeable term include “feathering,” “thrust,” “push out” or “outpush.” Creep moves the inside pages away from the spine so that the entire page is easily visible.
  • Bleed: Bleed refers to an image that extends beyond the page’s or sheet’s trim edge. You can order a page printed with or without bleed. With bleed means you’ll have printed content that extends all the way to the edge of the page, while without bleed means there will be a white (or whatever color paper you’re using) trim edge kept in place that keeps the image or printed content from extending past those standard boundaries.
  • Master vs. copy: The “master” is a paper or plastic plate used on a duplicating press to make copying much easier. There’s the master, and then there are all the copies made from it.
  • PDF: PDF stands for “portable document format,” a kind of computer file that preserves the original layout, graphics and fonts of an electronic or printed document on a single file for easier electronic transfer and viewing. PDF files use special reader software for viewing on devices and to submit them for printing.
  • Vector: The term “vector” in the printing world refers to the mathematical descriptions used to indicate where images are placed on a particular document.
  • Thermography: Thermography is a type of printing that features a colorless resin-based powder that ultimately takes on the color of the underlying ink.
  • UV coating: The UV coating process involves applying a special type of liquid to a printed sheet, then curing it and bonding it with ultraviolet light. This makes the paper stronger and less likely to fade or deteriorate over time.
  • Offset printing: Offset printing involves printing an image by transferring ink from a cylinder or flat plate on to a sort of rubber blanket that then puts that ink onto the substrate. Compare this to transferring ink directly from plate to paper, which is another standard type of printing process.

These are just a few examples of some of the many terms you might hear when submitting a print order, but that you might not already be familiar with. If you have any questions about industry jargon when submitting an order to Sun Graphics Printing, be sure to ask your technician about any unfamiliar printing terms in Yuma, AZ—we’d be happy to explain them!

Leave a Reply